Sri Aurobindo Centre for Advanced Research (SACAR)
Auro Vidya Retreat
4th to 19th April, 2018
Vedanta in the Light of Sri Aurobindo
Sri Aurobindo Centre for Advanced Research (SACAR), started in Puducherry in 1998, is a research unit of the Institute of Human Study which was launched at Hyderabad in 1964. SACAR has for its objective an in-depth study of and research into the thought and vision of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother and relate it to the present and future of India. We encourage the study of all allied thought and perspectives from other visionaries from different cultures with an objective to offer a synthetic view of the future.
Principles of SACAR:
SACAR follows closely the Vedic principle: "Let noble thoughts come to us from all directions". It believes that in the march of human evolution all thought, all religions, all ideas have their own specific place. Every avatar, every vibhuti or saint who incarnates on the earth contributes a new level of consciousness in the ascent of human evolution. It depends on each one to choose the direction one wants to take. That surely does not mean that one is greater than the other. Rather they all make an integral whole. Sri Aurobindo provides in his integral philosophy a wide platform for integrating all the major Vedantic thinkers in India and synthesizes their lived experiences in his transformative Integral yoga.
Aims & Objectives:
It has been proven again and yet again that in India all great awakenings, be they social or political, aesthetic or materialistic, have drawn their vigour and energy from a new spiritual vision based on her ancient philosophy given out in new forms conducive to the times.
Auro Vidya Retreat programmes are an attempt to bring together the Vedantic experience in the integral vision of Sri Aurobindo. Through this attempt we wish to explore an alternative perspective to the country's thought process which has hitherto emphasized largely on an other-worldly and an ascetic mode of life. Sri Aurobindo on the contrary believes:
Our first object shall be to declare this ideal, insist on the spiritual change as the first necessity and group together all who accept it and are ready to strive sincerely to fulfill it: our second shall be to build up not only an individual but a communal life on this principle. An outer activity as well as an inner change is needed and it must be at once a spiritual, cultural, educational, social and economical action. Its scope, too, will be at once individual and communal, regional and national, and eventually a work not only for the nation but for the whole human people. (CWSA13: 510-511)
With this as our central focus we aim to provide seekers with a clear and comprehensive exposition of thought and vision of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother. This would also gain an insight into the concept of the Supermind which according to them is the next step in human evolution.
This programme helps learners acquire and develop abilities, potentials and ideals that may help them carve a new future for themselves. We do not insist that our learners accept any particular teaching, practice or point of view but encourage a thoughtful and critical examination of all thought.
Please read the details carefully before applying for the Programme
Applications are hereby invited from all those who wish to participate and involve themselves in this retreat programme on “Vedanta in the Light of Sri Aurobindo”. Applicants must be willing to benefit from the deep philosophical and spiritual wisdom of the Vedanta. While providing an in-depth study of the original thought of the Vedantic thinkers they will be reviewed from the point of view of the integral vision of Sri Aurobindo.
Details of the programme:
- Dates: 4th April to 19th April 2018
- Maximum Number of Participants: 30 (admissions will be confirmed after the scrutiny of Application forms)
- Eligibility: Good in English (both spoken & written)
- Age group – Between 30 to 70 yrs.
- Medium of Instruction: English only
- Candidate should be open-minded and in good health.
(The Director of SACAR reserves the right of admission of the applicant)
- The Secret of the Veda (In Essence)
- Revelations of the Upanishads (The Essential Quest )
- An outline of the Six Schools of Indian Philosophy
- A Psychological Approach to the Bhagavad Gita
- The three approaches to Vedanta: Sri Adi Sankaracharya, Sri Ramanujacharya and Sri Madhavacharya (
- Sri Aurobindo: the Grand Synthesis (In depth)
In all there will be 26 lectures of 1.30 hours each apart from the time spent on group activities and self-study.
- Fee: Rs.8000 per head for two weeks - it includes tuition fee & lodging expenses. All travel, to and fro, will be borne by the participant.
- Simple vegetarian lunch and dinner will be provided free of cost to the participants enrolled for the programme. Food would be provided from Monday to Saturday. On Sundays the participants will have to go out for all their meals. No preference of taste/spices etc. will be entertained. No fasting special foods will be catered to. The participant will have to arrange for their own breakfast every day. Tea will be served twice at 10am and 4pm on working days only.
- Accommodation: Double or Three bedded non-A/c rooms would be given on sharing basis. A/c room rent will be charged extra.
- Every day the participants will have to spend some time for shramdaan.
- Medical Assistance – No medical assistance will be given by the institution except in emergency cases when the patient could be hospitalised for immediate attention at his/her own expenses. A relative of the participant has to come down to Puducherry for hospital care and expenses and for taking back the patient if required.
- A “Certificate of Completion” from SACAR would be given only to those candidates who would have attended and participated actively in all the classes and maintained strict discipline during the period of his/her stay here.
- All stationery, lap-tops, pen-drives etc. have to be brought by the participants themselves. Wi-Fi facility will be given in SACAR office only during the office hours for checking emails. The use of Facebook, Twitter and other social media are prohibited on the office Wi-Fi.
- Mobile phones or laptops are not allowed in the class while the classes are going on. However, for a group project laptops may be permitted by the facilitator.
- Ample time would be given for self-study, meditation, introspection and writing self-reflective journal.
- If any participant is found drinking alcohol, smoking or using intoxicants in the premises of SACAR or outside, he/she will be asked to quit the programme and vacate his/her room immediately. In such a situation the candidate cannot claim any refund for any reason.
- No family members, friends, relatives are allowed to accompany the participant if he/she is not a part of the study programme.
21st of February 2018.
- Once the candidate is selected, he/she will be informed and asked to transfer the fee to SACAR TRUST account by NEFT. The programme fee is Non-Refundable.
- Sight-seeing – Any visits to Matrimandir, Auroville or to any nearby temples will have to be arranged by the participant himself/herself.
- In case a participant wants to extend his/her stay for a few days more for sight-seeing purposes, he/she is welcome to stay on extra payment for rooms. However, no food will be provided on these extra days.
Venue of Stay and Study:
Sri Aurobindo Centre for Advanced Research
39, Vanniar Street, Vaithikuppam
Please download the Application Form here